Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pack on the protein & muscles

Um, so this to-do list didn't work well. I slept in, yeah, but that meant I didn't get my morning workout in. And you know what that means? I didn't work out after work. Instead, I went to Costco with my family and walked around. I guess an hour or so counts as something. Today would've been a good workout day too. My body is a little sore and that's the best time to work it out.

Oh well, that's in the past now isn't it? I needed a rest day probably, like a real one.

It's hard to eat more when I haven't worked out as much. It's 7PM and I just finished dinner, trying to fit in protein and fiber.

If you’re a body builder, looking to gain muscle multiply your weight by .6-.9, depending. This is how many grams of protein you need a day.

If you’re a cardio junkie, meaning most of your exercise is cardiovascular, multiply your weight by .5-.7. If you’re a long distance, multiple times a week runner stick to .7, if you run a few miles a few times a week stick closer to .5.

If you’re an active adult that doesn’t fall into the two above categories, multiple your weight by .4-.6.

If you’re a lazy bum, multiple your weight by .4.

(source: Matchstick Molly)


I'm an active adult that does a bit of cardio and weights but probably more cardio. Yet, I'd like to gain more muscle so my goal is my weight xs .7 = a lot more than I do. I consume around 75 some days, but according to this, I should aim higher.

I did okay with 70 grams of protein, but clearly, I am not just 100 pounds. I did reach my fiber requirements and almond enough calories. I still have some time.
  • 8:30AM 10 almonds
  • 9:30AM Salmon + broc + salsa over spinach
  • 12:45PM Cranberry sage turkey + spinach + mustard on slice of low carb flaxseed bread
  • 3PM Hint of jalapeno chips + 1/2 Luna peanut honey pretzel bar
  • 7PM 2 oz chicken + goat cheese on 1/2 low carb high fiber tortilla & PB on the other half
  • 9:15PM Fuji apple


Since I had extra time today, I borrowed some books and DVDs from the library.



I like to nab memoirs of formerly fat people. I also grabbed an Ann Brashares book, the author of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. I loved those and cried at the end of a couple. Belong to Me is the sequel to Love Walked In that I just read.

Finally, I got Beat the Gym. It looked promising, with loads of pictures of how to use the machines - one of my goals.


A few things I learned:
  • Max heart rate: 220 - age = 196 (for me)
  • Isometric = plank; isotonic = bicep curl where you lengthen and shorten a muscle
  • For power, 1-4 reps. For strength, 4-8 reps. For toning, 10-15 reps.
  • Replace upright rows with dumbbell front raises.
  • Use a staggered stance.

I'll try these out and a couple of workouts from the book.

Cardio & strength workout with dumbbells:

Do 1 set of 10 reps each.

10 mins treadmill
incline dumbbell chest press
bent-over dumbbell row
dumbbell side raises
dumbbell tricep kickbacks
dumbbell curl
squats with dumbbells
dumbbell stationary lunge each side
dumbbell deadlift
10 mins StairMaster
repeat strength circuit
10 mins stationary bike

I like that one because it uses different cardio machines.

I won't have time to do this tomorrow unless I skip yoga so I'll need some other options. Off to write those and watch these random movies I rented.

No comments:

Post a Comment