Monday, June 13, 2011

Sexy French macarons

I know it's late. Very late. I have to be up in less than 7 hours. This is what happens when you take naps. I mean, this is what happens when I take naps. I suppose this cycle of afternoons naps will have to continue.

And it's also summertime. It was 11 and seemed like it was much earlier.

A day or so ago, I aged two egg whites. Gross. But the result? Delicious. When I visit Bake It Pretty, I sometimes ask Amanda or Ian for suggestions. Around Valentine's Day, they suggested red velvet somethings. I didn't do it. Amanda suggested macaroons. Not my cup of tea. The big thing lately isn't macaroons but macarons.

What's the diff? Though I've come to love coconut, macaroons consist of mostly shredded coconuts. Macarons on the other hand require almond flour.

The aged egg whites become meringue in a flash with my trusty mixer. :) Beautiful. I called Yancey over to show him.


Put some suga' in it.

In the blender went the powdered sugar, almond flour, and cardamom. I cheated. I bought almond flour because I don't have a food processor. That'll be the next thing I get.

Fold the almond flour blend into the meringue.

I piped it onto a cookie sheet. (Oh yeah, a Silpat is also on the list of things to buy.)

They sat around for an hour to create a nice shiny crust.

Bake for 5 minutes then turn pan for 1 minute. My oven might be hotter at 375.



Done-zo. Perfect. Success.

Feet? Some of them have 'em.

Put some chocolate ganache and sandwich.


Make your roommate have one for quality control. He'll like it.

I may be a pastry chef yet.

Recipe from Fork Spoon Knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment