Monday, June 13, 2011

Advanced technique #2: yeast breads

I'm afraid of yeast breads. I made countless cinnamon recipes and failed until I finally found a few that don't dry out.

But since I was already in the kitchen and I was running on adrenaline from macaron success, I went for it. I made two yeasty things: Joy the Baker's cinnamon sugar pull-aparts and baked doughnuts.

Okay Joy, I like you a lot. Your posts are fantastic. You got me started. My favorite: pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. It hasn't always worked out. Your cookies rock, but I haven't done so well elsewhere.

I listened to the newest podcast today. Great stuff. Boys... ugh. She mentioned her most popular recipe, cinnamon sugar pull-aparts. When I saw this recipe, I was so excited because I love cinnamon rolls. I expected fluffy, ooey gooey pull-aparts.


I failed. It was my own fault. I forgot a whole paragraph - I cut the dough and forgot the butter and sugar. I had to roll it out again and it got too much flour.


Maybe it was because I used spelt.

Take 2: doughnuts. I had a pot of leftover oil from homemade churros (Joy, I succeeded)! What needs oil? Doughnuts.

Or not. I picked recipes that didn't require frying. Baking only. Oh great, my baked doughnuts don't work - they end up like muffins or cupcakes. Even my one time frying doughnuts was bad.

I took my time. I let it sit out and I rolled out this peculiar dough. It was tough. They rose again.

I put them in the oven while I made all sorts of toppings for them: matcha white chocolate, chocolate ganache, coconut, cream cheese, and fridge/pantry leftovers.


So yeasty. So good. It reminded me of those Taiwanese pastries that have become popular in California. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment