Tuesday, December 21, 2010

LA bakery road trip: Babycakes NYC

I got a whopping parking ticket and into a car accident. That said, was it worth it? Kind of. I only made it to 4 of the 6 bakeries. Two bakeries, Vanilla Bake Shop and Yummy Cupcakes, were out of the way in Santa Monica. To save myself from my appetite, I only ate the best parts of the baked good - that sometimes didn't work out.

I drove over to Babycakes located downtown amongst the districts (fashion, etcetera). Everything around the store was rundown. It reminded me of the New York I see on TV... except in L.A. On a rainy and overcast morning, I just had to be over at Babycakes.

The best part: Erin McKenna served me! I almost had collapsed from the excitement. It's a foodie's dream come true!

The worst part: I didn't realize she'd be doing a demo in nearby Beverly Hills TODAY! Oh, I would have totally gone too.

I wanted everything, but I decided on a mini jam doughnut, a mini ginger cookie thing, an infamous cookie sandwich, and I just couldn't resist a biscuit with jam.

When I was reading their blog, I saw that they got press for their cookie sandwiches. Yes, they are delicious. The frosting melts in your mouth. I'm not sure if I'll be a follower of their frosting and buy dollar frosting shots though.


However, I loved on their delicious mini doughnut. The ginger cookie ball pictured with it was okay - you could tell it was vegan, but the doughnut... oh, I can see how they earned "Best Vegan Treat" from New York Magazine.


Their biscuits looked ooey-gooey and reminded me of "home." I got one despite the fact that it wasn't on my preconceived list. Vegan? Really? I couldn't tell. Too bad the biscuit wasn't warm... and I got there when they opened! A warm biscuit would have made my morning.


I'm going to start collecting some good cookbooks, which means pictures. BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York's Most Talked-About Bakery is definitely on the list now.

No comments:

Post a Comment