Saturday, December 11, 2010

Just bought: mixing bowl, spatula, baby food holder

I bought my roommate a Christmas gift, I bought my co-worker a loaf pan in which I'll make Nigella's dense chocolate loaf and a gift card for her Nook reader, and then I bought myself some gifts. I couldn't help it. They're things I need.

First off, I bought an Oxo mixing bowl in white, metal, and with a black rubber base from TJ Maxx. They had three sizes, but I don't like the small ones much; they were too small. My bowls definitely need replacing; they're 4 years old and white plastic. I'm sure they're toxic by this point.

I also went for a blue Rubbermaid rubber spatula from Tuesday Morning.

Remember when I brought home 50+ baby food jars from work? I bought this baby food jar holder for $7 at Tuesday Morning. I had seen the holder before but didn't have baby food jars for it. The holder's cavities are larger than the teeny jars I own, which means you can have slightly larger jars if necessary.

Too bad it only holds 12 jars - not enough for all my spices but maybe a little too much for just my baking spices. I decided to go make this white one hold my baking spices:
  1. cinnamon
  2. nutmeg
  3. cloves
  4. cardamom
  5. allspice
  6. ginger
  7. pumpkin pie spice
  8. pink Himalayan sea salt
  9. threads of saffron
  10. poppy seeds
  11. cream of tartar? I remember using this for a baking project, but it's not a popular one
  12. anise seeds, which I need to purchase

I'm going to buy another holder. I don't know if I want another white one or a blue one (blue like the spatula). I'll ask my roommate for his opinion later, but that will consist of cooking spices:
  1. garlic powder
  2. paprika
  3. thyme
  4. rosemary
  5. cilantro
  6. chipotle chili powder
  7. curry powder
  8. oregano
  9. parsley
  10. cumin
  11. sage
  12. basil
*Italicized are items I'll need to purchase.

After buying the first baby food jar holder, I cleaned out 12 baby food jars. Garden vegetable looks puke green by the way.

Now I just need a way to label them. I thought about getting stickers, putting them on, and spraying the jars to make them frosted before removing the stickers. My roommate thinks labels may make the jars easier to read. I think he's right. Now to find labels, or make my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment