Sunday, July 31, 2011

How are you related to me? Nephew?

In Chinese, we have specific words for older brother and younger brother rather than the general word brother. Younger and older aunts get different names and then it depends on whether it's my dad's sister or mom's sister or if it's an in-law.

It gets harder to remember when I have to figure out what to call my mom's cousin's son's son. Basically, I call my mom's cousin like I would call an aunt (older in this case) and her son is my cousin so I call him brother. His son, in turn, is my nephew.

Which I find weird when I tell people because I don't have any siblings in order to have nieces and nephews...

Anyways, it was my nephew's 2nd birthday. His name is Nicholas and he's adorable. I mean it too because not all kids are cute.


The older kids put him on the treadmill and he was really into walking on it.


BONUS! We went through family photos and I was captured by this. My mom's (fraternal) twin looks HOT! She's on the far right of your screen.

This my uncle's wedding back in Vietnam with a jumble of grandparents, their siblings, uncles, my aunt, and my mother.

My mom is left of the bride, and if you can't tell which that is, my mom has a bow (like her twin on the far right) and a funky short haircut.


No comments:

Post a Comment