Saturday, July 16, 2011

Walking & eating all over the O.C.

I intended to go to the gym for step, sculpt, and then some yoga. But it didn't happen. On our way, mom and I watched people walking Mile Square Park. I decided, why not? We walked all four miles, saw a relative walking, and checked out the International Youth Foundation's Run & Fun. It hadn't started up quite yet when we got there.

The walk made me super hungry despite having a Shakeology beforehand. I guess walking an hour and a half does that to you especially if it's not a typical workout. Mom suggested getting dim sum in Cerritos. Anytime we go to Cerritos' South Street, I'm reminded of commercials for Cerritos Auto Square from my childhood.



Apparently the actor is name Jim Varney and this was a cute tribute to all his work. I had no idea he did Shakespeare and other things besides those commercials.



We ate at Ten Ten Seafood Restaurant, where I had one each of a pineapple bun (the best!), baked pork bun, and shu mai.

We stopped by Rainbow Donut for a blueberry donut. Oh those blueberry donuts. I guess that's the new thang now. There was no wait and they had them on hand and all day. And... it was better than the 2 hour wait over at M&M Donuts. They were surprised I just ordered one; they'd be more surprised to know I ate only 1/4-1/3 of it.


On our way home, we stopped by Goldilocks, a Filipino restaurant and bakery. It's quite packed all the time. I decided on their infamous Halo Halo and a ensaymada, a brioche with macapuno cheese and soft yummy coconut.

I gave mom the Halo Halo, but it was delicious. It's made with beans (kidney, garbanzo, etcetera) and jelly, shaved ice covered in condensed milk, and a scoop of ube ice cream.



The ensaymada was soft as was the coconut. I loved it and had to show restraint since it's pretty bad for you.


I napped for an hour because I had woken up so early.

I stopped by Sensitive Sweets again to order a cinnamon bread, gluten-free and vegan. I hope it's good! I'll pick it up on Tuesday, but for today, I got a snickerdoodle cookie to try.


It was ridiculously good.

We headed over to hang out with family for a couple of hours before heading to Newport Beach. It's so ritzy. South Orange County starts looking beautiful with it's rolling hills rather than the flat land of North Orange County and South L.A.

First stop, Kean Coffee, one of two locations. They have all the Blackmarket Bakery goodies. I resisted and said to myself, next time because you grazed way too much today! Instead, I had a Turkish cafe latte.

In the same center is SusieCakes. Everything was beautiful, particularly the tropical coconut and whimsical celebration cakes. I mentioned when I came here the first time that this bakery is vintage 1950s. It would be a bakery I would open up. Even better, their cupcakes are fantastic, or at least the red velvet cake was amazing.


(image from Food Frenzy)

Finally, a quick stop to Promelis. I love little markets and delis. This was teeny though.

Nothing compared to Mother's Market & Kitchen. It's so much better than the Huntington Beach location. This one is huge. I spent an hour plus there. The first thing that caught my eye was a huge section of gluten-free, sugar-free, and raw foods. I spent a good 15-30 minutes there alone. They also had a restaurant with yummy foods including breakfast served all day.

They also had great prices on apples so I bought some Fujis.

I nabbed a packet of Vega Sport in berry flavor and Artisana Cacao Bliss since I read about it on Oh She Glows and Heather Eats Almond Butter. I can't wait to dive in after dinner!


I got home and needed some energy so quickly did The Fitnessista's Booty Blast twice. The beginning is a killer with the sumo burpees. I kind of fudged the jumping lunges because I didn't think I could do them, but actually I did okay. I just did jumping jacks when I couldn't.
  • 2 mins jogging in place
  • 30 secs high knees
  • 1 min sumo squats
  • 1 min sumo burpees
  • 30 secs lunges right leg
  • 30 secs hold right leg lunge
  • 30 secs lunges left leg
  • 30 secs hold left leg lunge
  • 45 secs jumping lunges
  • 30 secs chair pose
  • 30 secs regular squats
  • 30 secs bridge pose
  • 30 secs extend right leg up and hold
  • 30 secs extend left leg up and hold
Showered, I've been watching some "Cupcake Wars" and am now sufficiently hungry. After dinner and resting, I'm thinking about some Blogilates.

No comments:

Post a Comment