Friday, July 1, 2011

Quick downtown romp

Mom and I went on a quickie adventure downtown this morning after my workout.
  • Gourmet Chip Company - We saw their sign out so we thought it was open. The proprietress was kind enough to let us stay and made us the Nori: crispy taro root chips with homemade furikake (seaweed, sesame seeds, cane sugar, & sea salt) served wtih red chili aioli. It was okay. I've had better taro chips coming from California, but I would like to try their Belgium (sweet potato chips with chocolate shavings and vanilla sea salt). I had to abstain from sweetness this AM though. Mom and I tried a couple and have some for later.
  • Old Europe Patisserie - I used to go here all the time. First, when it was in their second location, I would go at night with friends for pastries and cocktails. I was more interested in cocktails then so can't recall which pastries I liked. Today, I got us some coffee. I love the girl who works there (Anna)! I also got mom a French Creamy to try because that is my favorite. Mom loves it too and ate the whole thing; it's not too sweet.
  • Modesto Bakery - It's a new favorite because I can't make French pastries. I buy their breads. Today, I brought home an English muffin and because they had mini loaves of brioche, I bought one. Not many places sell brioche like they do challah. My aunt devoured half the mini loaf and half the English muffin when we got home.

  • Vinsite - I used to love Usual Suspects, a bar away from downtown. The owners sold it and opened a wine store with wine tastings and this cool machine I read about where you buy a card and try ounces of wine. I got an ounce of some pinot noir. Tomorrow I'm going to the tasting... or Tuesday. They do tastings both days at 5PM. Remember, I said I resolved to drink more wine.
We headed to Rocky's Hot Chicken Shack today also. It's their opening day so super packed and frustrating when they took 30 minutes to get my order. The guy behind me said he gets "medium," which he says is hot. I thought there were more tiers, but apparently just five. Mom got plain wings while I chose a mild breast. The flavor can only be described as "hot." Good mac, not so good corn puddin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment