Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A new adventure in cooking: 3-course meal #1

So I decided to bake and bake and cook. Yeah, I said it. I'm not much of a cook, but I will sometimes experiment with mac and cheese. I decided to try a vegan mac and cheeze recipe.

It was a lot of fun. I loved the salty miso, tomato paste, and nutritional yeast.


I used House Foods shirataki angel hair noodles for myself, split a bag into 3 ramekins, and then cooked enough regular angel hair pasta for Yancey's 2 ramekins.

I used about 1/4 cup of vegan "cheeze" for each ramekin and sprinkled on some bread crumbs. For Yancey's, I added frozen and then warmed grilled chicken he had.

First though, I wanted to make a starter. I decided on a salad with walnuts and goat cheese. I made my own honey mustard dressing with just spicy mustard, fat free mayo, lime juice, and a drizzle of honey. I quickly roasted some walnuts and found a quick cocktail recipe: 1 1/2 parts rum, 1 1/2 parts pineapple juice, squirts of key lime juice, 1/4 banana, and 2 ice cubes in the blender.


For dessert, I made Kyotofu's chocolate souffle cupcakes. Perfect because I had tofu leftover from making Sugarbomb Bakery's gluten-free brownies and because I bought mellow white miso for the vegan "cheeze."

Yancey liked them. They're fluffier than typical cupcakes because of the small amount of flour required. I made a half batch to yield 5 regular ones and 8 minis. We had one mini each... okay, I had two. There's no icing on top, just a sprinkling of cinnamon and a tad bit of chipotle chili powder for the kick I thought it needed.



What will I make tomorrow?

I have ideas about pizza, pancakes, shrimp, and strawberry shortcake... not together though.

No comments:

Post a Comment