Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Why organic? What milk?

My aunt randomly asked me a question about milk. I don't drink cow's milk. It's not my favorite, loaded with fat, causes mucus, and I may or may not be lactose intolerant especially since I'm Asian. I don't have the major signs, but I can do without it anyhow.


(image from Got Greens Revolution)

I don't drink soy either. Chemicals, again. And my roommate refuses to drink it because he thinks he'll grow breasts. Well, it has some truth apparently due phytoestrogens, which act like female estrogen. Who knows?


(image from Vector Stock)

The way to go is organic. I explained organic to my family, particularly organic milk and the tons of chemicals put into cows to produce all that milk.

In any case, I used to be a big fan of almond milk. Organic, unsweetened original kind.


(image from Whole Foods)

I want to try this, but most almond milks taste pretty much the same so cost is really the only issue.

(image from Pacific Foods)

I prefer high protein Greek yogurt, from cows, to milk though, but I use almond milk in my protein powders to give it fullness that water just doesn't.

With other food, I'm quite picky. I will only eat organic meat because I've seen too many of those PETA pamphlets. As for fish, I look for the ones safest to eat online, which are apparently from rivers.

If you know me, you know I love apples. I haven't eaten as many because it's not quite apple season and I can't do my own apple picking. It literally takes me 15-30 minutes to select apples at the store. I buy organic apples because I tend to eat the skin and it's susceptible to pesticides more than say, bananas. By the way, my bananas don't need to be organic.


(image from VeryVeggie)

My friend Kyle made a good argument though. Without the pesticides, we'd have to protect ourselves against what pesticides are meant to kill (besides bugs) like E. coli and whatnot. I suppose it's up to you, but most often than not, organic food has more good than bad attributes.

I'm sure as more research is done, we'll find out more about the foods we eat and I'll change my mind, but for now, I drink organic unsweetened original almond milk. You can try coconut milk too, but I don't like the flavor unsweetened original coconut milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment