Monday, November 5, 2012

MIMM: Changes!


The end of daylight savings might be my favorite time of the year. Instead of sunless Saturday mornings, I'll be greeted by Mr. Sun. Though it'll take me a few days to get used to the eerie feeling of a pitch-black 6 P.M.

Following the time change, I made a few changes of my own:

Since it's Monday, I got to sleep in till 8 and made a fantastic breakfast from the Tupelo Honey Cafe cookbook: "Fit for a King" peanut butter & banana sandwich using Julian's Bakery carb smart cinnamon bread and honey from my October foodie penpal. The recipe calls for mayonnaise... ew? Once upon a time, I liked mayo but now gag at it.  

Another change? Dinner. I like no-frills meals like spring rolls, salads, or anything put into a tortilla.

Since the weather's cooler, I made a pot of vegan sweet potato & quinoa chili. I made this recipe once and loved it.

I usually have sweet potatoes and quinoa, and the rest of the ingredients are super cheap (black beans, tomato sauce, and vegetable stock). The batch feeds me 6 times!

What's your favorite dessert?
Cookies are fast becoming my favorite. I used to be a cookie hater.

Cakes, especially cupcakes, were my jam back in 2009-2010. I frequented the cutest hole-in-the-wall bakery in Asheville: Short Street Cakes. I also went to the weekly farmer's market to visit my friends over at Take the Cake. I knew my bakers on a first-name basis.

Maybe it's cupcake burnout. Maybe it's my discovery of the wonders of browned butter. Yep, I think that's it.

Browned butter is super easy and makes the cookies extra delicious and chewy.

Nutella-stuffed chocolate chip cookies have been on the top of my Pins for a little while and decided to make them last night.

It's easy but took more time than usual.

I ran out of chocolate peanut butter so stuffed some of them with regular peanut butter.

I used to bake all-the-time as stress relief from my crappy job. I even knew my baking supply shop owners on a first-name basis, went to their birthday party, and joined their bake sale.

Next, pie. I mostly just like pumpkin and fresh apple pie. What's your favorite pie?

Other changes
Craving for stevia-sweetened soda. Need to print out the coupon for a 6-pack strawberry Zevia!

New pantalones for working out. I got these for 70% off! These Fit Squad capris are meant to be loose up top, but since I've got a little more in the back, it fits me comfortably and perfectly! :) 

How did you enjoy your extra hour? 
What changes have you made with the cooler weather?

4 comments:

  1. I have been searching for that strawberry zevia! I hope I find it soon!

    Favorite dessert...ice cream! <3

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word, there is so much amazing-ness happening in this post. I mean those cookies.. wow just wow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a cookie whore. It's a problem. Pies... I can pass on those. Unless it's Kentucky Derby. I could eat the entire pie!

    ReplyDelete